Thursday 24 April 2008

Caring about our young people#2

My original Caring about our young people post received a lot over favourable feedback. I am, of course, pleased that HM Govt has decided to do a U-turn and accept that young people earning less than £18,500 who have the metal to hold down a full time job, should not be penalised by the abolition of the 10% tax rate band.

But how did we ever get to this situation?

It seems to me that, time-and-time again, we get measures introduced with no regard to the consequences. I thought we had (ie we the tax payers paid for) huge resources and systems at The Treasury and elsewhere in Government, whose sole job it was to make sure Ministers knew about the consequences of their proposed actions.

CGT, non-doms, 10% tax rate, Northern Rock…I am getting more disillusioned by the day.

No comments: