Thursday 29 May 2008

Reward for failure

I am one of the greatest supporters of 'performance-related pay'. Indeed, I have chaired several Remuneration Committees designing LTIPs and the like. But, if there is one thing that gets my goat, it is rewarding failure.

So when I read of the multi-million reward packages for Ben Verwaayen (outgoing CEO) and Ian Livingston (incoming CEO) at BT - See The Times New BT boss offered £7m to hit targets - I wasn't too concerned. What really upset me was the £376,000 payment which continues to be made to (Sir) Peter Bonfield six years after he left BT in the most perilous state after his disastrous reign as CEO.

All I now need to get my blood pressure even higher is to learn that Bonfield is still being paid by Fujitsu for his similarly "disappointing" period as CEO of ICL.

No comments: