Wednesday 17 October 2007

Apple doubles in Holway portfolio

One of the joys of leaving Ovum was freeing myself from the usual constraints on share ownership that applies to analysts. In January, I bought a new portfolio of shares and I have reported on its progress regularly.

Today marked a very special milestone as my Apple shares are now double what I paid for them!Logic says I should sell. But logic said I should have sold when the gain had reached 50%.

Indeed, as of today, the “Holway portfolio" is showing a 16% gain since 1st Jan 08. The other best performers are Axon (up 44%), RCM Technology Trust (where I am a director – see previous posts - up 22%), Vodafone (up 19%) and Capita (up 10%). All the rest are single digit gains except….

I’ve admitted to buying Blinkx on their IPO but it was a very “small holding”. I moved out of EDS, after suffering a 20% fall, into Sage – which has managed a 6% fall since I bought them a month back!

But overall, a 16% gain is pretty satisfying as a first attempt at this investing lark. Even better return than the Northern Rock. Just had my pension statement where the managed fund has managed a mere 3% growth this year.

No comments: